The American Forest & Paper Association released its June paper reports.
Containerboard production was 1.2 percent lower compared to June 2015. The month-over-month average daily production compared to May 2016 was 0.4 percent higher.
The containerboard operating rate for June remained flat at 95.6 percent, while the year-to-date operating rate of 94.5 percent was 1.6 percentage points lower compared to the first half of 2015.
Kraft paper shipments were 137.8 thousand short tons, 8.5 percent lower compared to June of last year, which had the highest shipment volume in 2015.
Bleached Kraft paper shipments increased from 7.0 thousand short tons in May to 7.7, while unbleached Kraft paper decreased from 131.0 to 130.1 thousand short tons.
Overall, shipments in the first half of 2016 were 2.4 percent lower compared to the same period in 2015. Total month-end inventories decreased from 79.2 to 68.6 thousand short tons.
Printing-Writing Paper Report
According to the report, total printing-writing paper shipments decreased 6 percent in June compared to June 2015. Total printing-writing paper inventory increased 2 percent from May levels.
- Uncoated free sheet (UFS) paper shipments decreased 5 percent compared to June 2015. UFS imports were down 41 percent year-over-year in May with exports down 17 percent.
- June coated free sheet (CFS) paper shipments increased 1 percent compared to June 2015. Imports of CFS papers decreased 21 percent in May with exports down 8 percent year-over-year.
- Uncoated mechanical (UM) paper shipments increased slightly in June, up just less than 1 percent when compared with June 2015, the first year-over-year increase in the past 16 months. Imports of UM papers were down 7 percent in May while exports of UM in May decreased 23 percent compared to the previous year.
- Coated mechanical (CM) shipments in June decreased 19 percent when compared to June 2015. Imports of CM increased 6 percent in May compared to May 2015 with exports down 41 percent.
- Coated mechanical (CM) shipments in March decreased 4 percent when compared to March 2015. Imports of CM decreased 14 percent in February compared to February 2015.
Total boxboard production decreased 2.0 percent when compared to June 2015 and decreased 2.4 percent from May.
Unbleached Kraft Boxboard production decreased over the same month as last year but increased compared to May.
Total Solid Bleached Boxboard & Liner production decreased when compared to June 2015 and decreased compared to the previous month.
The production of Recycled Boxboard decreased compared to June 2015 and decreased when compared to the previous month.
Published in the September 2016 Edition of American Recycler News